MSI REaCH gives faculty from MSIs across the country an immersive opportunity to expand their knowledge of Earth’s climate record and build scientific skills through a week of hands-on paleoclimate investigation. Participants analyze data from sediment cores collected by the International Ocean Discovery Program.
- Hands-on experience working with ocean sediment cores and identifying climate change information from microfossils and physical characteristics of core contents
- Data-rich curriculum on the geologic perspective of climate change
- Guidance in identifying resources to support curriculum development and adaptation, and to support design of student research projects
- Mentoring to support resource implementation from research scientists and undergraduate education specialists
Upon workshop completion participants:
- Integrate workshop paleoclimate curriculum into new or existing geoscience courses
- Begin or expand paleooceanography paleoclimate and/or marine science research opportunities for undergraduate students
- Present their curriculum or research outcomes at a professional meeting
This program is funded by the National Science Foundation.